- Combine vinegar, beer, onions, pickling spices, salt and pepper in a large earthenware bowl.
- Add rabbit pieces. Cover and let stand in refrigerator 1-2 days, turning the meat several times.
- Dry rabbit pieces with paper towel, then dip in flour.
- Melt fat in a large skillet. Add meat and brown on all sides.
- Pour off fat.
- Strain marinade and add it with sugar to meat.
- Bring liquid to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 40 minutes or until rabbit is tender.
- If desired, thicken liquid with flour mixed with a little water.
- Serve hot.
Hasenpfeffer is a traditional German stew. Serve it with sauce, potato dumplings and green beans. Pair with a smooth style beer like an Oktoberfest or Amber lager.
What beer did you use with this recipe? Let us know using the hashtag #CheersCanada.