Beer Caramel Icing
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flower a 10 inch bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and brown sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well in between.
- With mixer on low, add flour mixture alternately with beer, starting and ending with flour, and mix just to combine.
- Fold in dates and nuts (if using).
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for an hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cake is completely cooled, prepare frosting.
- Add brown sugar to melted butter in a medium saucepan and heat on low, stirring regularly, until the sugar melts.
- Add beer and milk and bring to a boil, stirring often to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add salt and vanilla.
- Whisk in icing sugar a few tablespoons at a time until you’ve reached the desired consistency (thick but still pour-able).
- Pour icing over cake.
This cake gets people talking. Compliment a slice with a snifter of the stout you used to bake with or a brown ale. What beer did you use with this recipe? Let us know using the hashtag #CheersCanada.