- Cook bacon on medium heat for three minutes. Remove all but 1 Tsp of bacon fat and sauté onions, leek and whole garlic clove for 4 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper. Add potatoes and season again with salt and pepper to release water, about 5 minutes. Continue cooking until cauliflower and onions are dry. Deglaze with Cream Ale and cook until beer has reduced by three quarters.
- Cover mixture with stock, add thyme and bay leaf and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for approximately 20 minutes or until vegetables are extremely tender. Add cream and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Finish with cheddar cheese
- In batches, puree soup in a Cuisinart blender. Only fill one third of the blender. First pulse and then allow blender to run on high for 1 minute. Pass soup through a fine mesh strainer and adjust flavour with reduced beer. a food processor, combine sundried tomatoes and walnuts and process with some olive oil and lemon juice until the consistency is spreadable but not too thin.
- Season with salt and pepper.
© Muskoka Brewery Inc.
Suggested Pairings: Find commonalities by pairing this soup with a cream ale. Ales from the thirst quenching to robust beer styles will also complement the cheddar cheese.
What beer did you pair with this recipe? Let us know using the hashtag #CheersCanada.