- Rinse chicken inside and out and pat dry.
- Squeeze lemon over chicken and rub juice onto skin.
- Place chicken in a large pot or dutch oven with onions, garlic, celery, peppercorns, bay leaf and parsley.
- Add beer and salt, then enough water to cover the chicken.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Cover and simmer on low for about an hour, adding more beer/water as needed.
- After about an hour, add the carrots, potatoes and pearl onions. Cover and simmer until vegetables are just tender (12-15 minutes). Add mushrooms and peas and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Sprinkle chicken with paprika.
- To serve, carve chicken and serve in bowls with broth and vegetables
What beer did you use with this recipe? Let us know using the hashtag #CheersCanada.